A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Monday, July 18, 2005

21 Humor- What the hell does that mean?

I sat here today, trying to think of what to name this thing. My blog name should reflect my life, I thought. That got me thinking about my life and what makes it unique. My life, I decided, is a series of random, funny adventures. These adventures are what I want to capture here for all of you, my friends.

So I decided to call the Blog "A Splash of 21 Humor."

The story: The name is based on a scale that I call the "21 Humor Scale." This is a personal scale that I developed many years ago to gauge my personal opinion of how funny people are. It is based on a 21-point system (with "0" being "dead", "1" being "Very Very Not Funny" and "21" being "The Funniest Person I know"). This is not a traditional scale. It is my scale- and completely subjective based on my opinion of you.

Why "21"? Why not use a more traditional number like "20" or "25"? Because it's random like the concept and the purpose of the scale itself.

An interesting note on the 21-humor scale is no one can achieve "21" status because I am the only "21" on the scale (it makes sense- I am the funniest person I know because it is based on my sense of humor! I am the benchmark for all others, according to my scale.) A few "20's" have crossed my path since the induction of the scale, but most people I know fall somewhere in the mid-teens.

It's amazing how many people have gotten really upset over their placement on my scale. My ex-boyfriend, for example, was furious to find out that he only ranked at a "14" on the scale (and that was being generous).

"It's just a dumb thing that I made up!" I told him. It didn't help. "Where is Apryle on the scale? Where is Tiffany? I'm funnier than them!" He was downright offended that he scored much lower than many other people on the scale. He actually stooped low enough to discredit and put down the all-knowing humor scale in a fit of anger. Suck it up, buddy... you're not funny.

The 21-Humor Scale led to new terminology in my friends' lingo. Phrases like, "That is absolutely 21- humor!" and "She's an 18" became commonplace.

Another interesting aspect of the 21-Humor Scale is that peoples' ratings can change. My friend Emily is perfect example of this. When I first created the scale, Emily ranked as an "8." She is now a "15-16" - much funnier than she used to be.

Assessment on the scale is instantaneous and can only be completed by me. I can tell you immediately where you fall on the scale (but do you really want to know? Probably not...)

I think you can now see how the name fits this blog quite well based on its intent. It's going to be random- it might even be raunchy- but it will definitely be fun!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome, Kristina! I have to admit I don't think you've ever mentioned your scale to me. But that's probably because I'm somewhere low on the scale. ;-) Nonetheless, looking forward to reading your entries ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home