A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Great Restaurants: The Mastoris Diner/Restaurant

Don't be fooled by the name (I know we all shudder a little when we hear 'diner'). I was on business day trip in New Jersey this week and had the pleasure to eat at this mom and pops-style restaurant. It was one of the most amazing restaurant meals I have ever had. Plus the family atmosphere was infectious-- a truly wonderful place to sit and have a meal.

From the outside, the structure reminds me of an old diner that has been remodeled and added on to about 15 times. It is gigantic. Imagine a 10-diner complex arranged in a haphazard, domino-game style. That's what the Mastoris Restaurant looks like. It was just as twisted and confusing inside, with dining rooms jutting out from dining rooms and providing quite the Willy Wonka maze of a dining experience.

Apparently, the company has been in the family since the mid 1900s when the current owner's father opened a traditional diner focusing on only serving the freshest, highest quality foods. A menu that was once small now includes just about anything you would want to order (seriously-- there must've been at least 250 dishes listed) . I ended up settling on a lunch special.

For $9.50, I got:
-A soda
-A plate of trademark cheesebread & cinnamon bread (gigantic portion)
-A bowl of gaspacho
-Homemade french fries
-A smoked turkey wrap, complete with mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers and onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and basil pesto sauce. Fresh and fantastic!!
-Dessert

My boss, Daryl, also got the lunch combo. He ordered a chicken/shrimp salad, soup, and veggie. Neither of us could finish our meals (gigantic).

Their bakery is renowned, apparently. After finishing my entree (which was delivered, hot-to-order, 10 minutes after being seated), our waitress arrived at the table with a big tray hosting about 20 different pieces of cake, complimentary with our meals. Just when I thought I couldn't eat any more, I had strawberry shortcake (the best I've ever had). Daryl had a chocolate/mocha concoction called "the Roadrunner."

In short, if I ever got married in New Jersey (God help me...), I have no doubt that I would call anyone but these people to cater the event. The food was out of this world.


How to get there: It's just south of Trenton, NJ in Bordentown. Take I-276 across the Delaware River and into New Jersey. Get off the first exit- the exit for Route 100. Go north on Rt. 100 for ~5 miles until the road splits. Take the left sector. Immediately after bearing to the left, the restaurant will be on your right.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know N.J. is known for its diners, but this place sounds like it's the top!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home