A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Ice Princess

Once you get beyond childhood, there are very few things out there that make you feel like a little girl again... one of them is a trip to a Disney park, preferably, the Magic Kingdom.

Another is when the elements of time and place come together to create a magic moment.

It happened last week at my ice skating class in Hershey. Because of the high humidity outside, a misty white cloud hung over the arena the entire evening, giving the place a cool, dreamlike quality. It was so weird... there were 15 people there, all sharing the ice and practicing their various specialties, but it felt like I was all alone. Why? It was impossible to see skaters on the opposite end of the rink because of this thick, foggy white mist.

Every week the class coordinator plays different tracks of music for the ice dancers in my class. I enjoy the music, but being a freestyle skater, I tend to tune it out. Still, there are some songs that capture the feeling out there, compelling you to glide effortlessly in swirling arcs and jumps to the beat of the song.

The defining moment of my evening was when the Sleeping Beauty waltz (the song from the Disney movie) came on. As the song echoed around the old wooden arena, a sense of nostalgia welled up within me. The words went through my head as I found myself skating along to it in the dream-like cloud.

"I knew you, I walked with you once up on a dream..."

For a brief moment, I felt like a princess again, 8-years old and full of hope and child-like innocence. For a moment, I was a princess (yes, an ice princess!).

Simple, beautiful moments like these are what life is all about. They are what make it truly pleasureable to be alive.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks like you're getting some comment spam. If you want, you can go into the blog settings and switch on word verification (kind of like Ticketmaster) to prevent the spam.

    Looking forward to this weekend!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home