A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Think it' s time to eat a pear....? I don't think so!

Last night was a very interesting night. In the spirit of meeting and hanging out with fun men other than my ex-boyfriend (who I have managed to avoid now for 2 months), I took my new friend Keith up on the offer to play football. He and a group of his guy friends are members of a league called the "Frogs & Toads." This isn't some pansy pick-up game, I might add. This is organized madness.

Let me preface this by saying that I met Keith at a Harrisburg Young Professionals social. We struck up a conversation at the bar about non-profit groups and philanthropy and he bought me a beer. Nice guy. I introduced him to Emily (also at the meeting) and somehow the topic of football came up between the two of them. Emmy got us the invite to the exclusive weekly game. Keith originally said we could be spectators and Emily oh-so-wisely told him that we'd definitely prefer to play.

So Wednesday night rolled around. Emmy and I arrived to see 11 athletic-minded guys stretching and warming up on the sidelines. The field was measured and marked with orange cones. And there were official jerseys. Jerseys! Talk about intimidation.

What a great time. These guys were pretty official about everything, including play-calling, defensive strategy, and penalties. Although it was a two-hand touch game, it was very physical... we had one jammed pinky, one minor head injury and one kneed groin between the group. Apparently a lot of the girlfriend and wives have banned them from playing from time to time because there have been several broken bones, torn tendons, etc.

Once the guys realized that Emily and I were decent athletes, they started to include us in the plays rather than have us there as warm bodies (or should I say, "HOT" bodies... j/k). Em had a clutch reception at the goal line and I had a touchdown. How's that for invading man territory?

We'll have to see if the tribal council offers us a permanent invite to the Frog & Toad brotherhood of man after our stellar performances or if we get booted off the island...

My friends are pretty official with their "Frog and Toad" league. They keep stats and log weekly updates on their website. They actually organize group trips and have an awards banquet at the end of the "season." I figure, anyone who makes a total production about some totally mundane hobby or interest in their life it ok in my book! (think Tiffany Marathon and Pimp-N-Ho Bowling, girls... will reference this later for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.)

The funniest thing about the evening was running into an old elementary school friend of Doug - *Sam (name changed to protect the innocent). Sam was this punked out little kid the last time I saw him and I would've expected him to be in jail by now. But he's actually turned into a decent human being with a good job and attitude to match (but then again, how can you really figure that out after 3 hours of football and a little chit chat? I just know he wasn't sporting any sort of electronic bracelet, so I assume he's clean).

For those of you who know Doug, this was pretty funny... Sam was in Doug's first band, circa 1991. They wrote one or two songs which included inspiring phrases such as "Ski the mountain... ski, ski the mountain," and "think it's time to eat a pear? I don't think so!" Classics.

Check out the official Frog & Toad website here:
http://frogs_and_toads.tripod.com/

1 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kristina!

    I found your blog by accident, testing some new software. I got rid of the software, but I read through most of your blog and I love it. You're so spunky. It was fun reading about your experiences.

    Anyway, sorry for my rather odd blog comment a few days ago.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home