A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Monday, July 25, 2005

What's a month without a hippie party? Pt. 1

I was privileged enough this weekend to have been invited to a hippie "pond" party by a co-worker. My co-worker, Shawn*, is what I consider to be one of those good-looking, rugged "worker" types that doesn't know he's hot (aren't they the best?!). His dad visits our office every few weeks or so because he is retired and friends with the people who work here. He's taken a liking to me (I think he'd like to set me up with his single son), and keeps inviting me to their parties... this was the first time I have been able to attend. I looked at it as both an opportunity to flirt with a potential date and also to conduct a fact-finding session as to what makes hottie Shawn tick.

With moonroof open and Zeppelin blasting from Dezzie's speakers (my car's official name- short for "Desdemona"), I made the hour-long drive south of Harrisburg and into the southern York countryside. The party was being held on a big farm in Glen Rock. As I drove back the long one-car lane towards the designated parking area, a sense of, "Oh shit. What have I got myself into?" crept over me. Here I was, going to a party in York County where I knew no one and was going to have to face a questionable crowd. Now that's what I call bravery.

I parked and walked down a gigantic hill to where the tents were set up. Lots of grills and food were already out and ready to eat with a handful of people mingling around them. I said 'hi' to Shawn's dad and he commended me for coming to the party by myself. Then I met Shawn's sister and his ex-girlfriend. I casually introduced myself, explained my work relationship with Shawn to them, and tried casual probe for dirt. Relatively unsuccessful endeavor as I got snubbed. Again, an "Oh shit... what am I doing here?" crept over me.




Then I thought, "What the Hell.. I'm hot, too, dammit!" and started walking around and randomly talking to people that looked interesting.

The first victim was a terribly cute little boy sitting by the lake and watching the other kids swim (see the picture). Ben, I found out, is a self-proclaimed "germaphobe" who doesn't get into the water because of the algae and microscopic organisms. He didn't even bother wearing swimming trunks because they don't fit him anymore (he was seriously underweight...). He looked to be about 7 years old, but was really 11. What do you talk about with an 11-year-old? What else- "So Ben, do you like Harry Potter?" Wrong question to ask. The kid followed me around the picnic for the next 2 hours, seeking my thoughts on Hagrid, Ron, Harry, etc... He's read half of the book and it's been out for a week.




The funniest thing about my new friend, however, is that he was at the picnic in his HEADGEAR. Headgear! I didn't know kids still wore that getup?! Later in the day, he got hit in the head with a rogue volleyball as he was walking past the volleyball court and his headgear broke. You would've thought the kid's dog died. He sat in one of the tents and cried for 30 minutes because he was so devastated. I'm not kidding.

Besides my 11-year-old boyfriend, I hung out lots of fun older people (Dick Naylor, the owner of Naylor Vineyards and a bunch of older people). I also met some interesting (albeit simple-minded) young people at the picnic- most notably, Rick and Sharon. They are Shawn's friends. It was kind of strange... Rick and Sharon are married, but all Sharon cared to do was sit at the picnic table and get drunk while Rick hang out with me and used the pond toys (which included a trapeze, zip line, and rings). He kept hitting on me with his wife right there... it was very odd. I was partially afraid that I might get invited to be in a threesome for the second time this summer (I'll share that story another time for those of you who haven't heard it yet...) Hell yeah, York.

We ended the night with a big campfire, and I drove home around midnight grooving to Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" and feeling very much like the kids in the VW Commercial.

Overall, the day was very enjoyable and I'll probably go to another party with these people in the future. I ate great grilled food, played in the water, and got to improve my horseshoes prowess for the next R&R Hunting Camp cookout. The funniest thing is that I barely spent any time with Shawn--- lots of time with his friends, family, and father, but barely anything with him. Maybe he doesn't see the hotness that his married friend saw.

I suppose the fact-finding mission was a failure. But at least the future in-laws love me. ;-)



*Again, names concealed to protect the innocent.






2 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Desdemona/Dezzie. Great name! The classy name/nickname combination sort of reminds me of Perky!

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kristina said…

    The name comes from Jimmy Buffett's "Fruitcakes." In the beginning of the song, he talks about a conversation he had with his friend, Desdemona, who works down at the space station bake shop. "She says that the cosmic baker took us out of the oven a little too early, and that's the reason we're as crazy as we are!" I found it fitting... ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home