A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Back from the Road - A Few Reflections

Well, it's been a pretty crazy and amazing last week, traveling the Mother Road with my two oldest friends and seeing America coast-to-coast. For those of you that have not been following it, check out our trip blog at http://route66pirates.blogspot.com .

Everyone should, at least once in their life, take the quintessential road trip with their best buddies. Do it. America has so much beauty and so many different faces, and you deserve to experience them. It will remind you why you should be proud to be a citizen of this great country - because the people you will meet along the road ARE the faces of freedom and the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.

Our trip was inspiring and full of happiness, love, sadness and adventure and it made me realize that home is truly where the people you love are (you are SO right, Cait). I am missing Marcia and Emily already.

Yesterday was pretty much the hardest day of my life, having to look at those two and then jump on a cross-country plane back to Baltimore. It was all I could do to not completely lose it in front of LAX... I had to remove myself from the situation and try to suppress the emotion because I would've been ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I am soooo happy for my girls. They have great jobs, a lovely apartment, and such adventures awaiting them on the Left Coast. I just feel like there is a small part of the East Coast left empty in their departure. There is a hole that cannot be filled by anyone else that the people over here definitely notice already.

Part of what is difficult, I think, is that I have never had to live without them being close by. Cait and I had some tears when she left for China and there are moments I wish with all my heart that she was close to home (when I'm missing hugs and good conversation and late night nacho-eating & beer binges while watching the Sound of Music). But Cait and I have lived apart quite a bit, and we know we can survive the distance because we're soul sisters. I'm hoping that things work the same way with M & E.

Still, leaving Marcia and Emily 3,000 miles away is so strange. Especially Em... it's like cutting my right arm off. It's like Mick without Keith. The thought is so weird.

I had my 'moment' in the car when Zeppelin's 'Going to California' came up on the ipod playlist. This song makes me think back to college when Emmy would play it and talk about moving to California. I am so damn proud of her for finally taking this step and getting there. She is going to forge a brilliant path, the opportunity that which is so long overdue. I am so proud of BOTH of them!

Sending love from sea to shining sea and beyond. My friends cover the planet... and make me so proud to have them in my life and let me experience the entire world through them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home