A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Monday, October 30, 2006

D.C. Halloween 2.0




















This weekend I went to Washington D.C. to visit my buddy Paul and to see Cassie (my cousin) run in the United States Marine Corps Marathon. As you all know, I have a special place in my heart for this city because of living there for a while. It was a lovely Fall weekend with some of my very favorite people in one of my very favorite places!

Paul, his friends, and I went out in costume for Nightmare on M Street, a fantastic downtown DC bar crawl (this is now the second time I've done this). I expressed my Native American roots (yes, 1% bloodline does count as having roots.. he he) and dressed accordingly. Paul (who is straight) was a cowboy from Brokeback Mountain. He wore an athletic bandage on his wrist and a T-shirt that read "I Can't Quit ME," (a joke on the famous movie line, 'I can't quit you.'). The women (and one very-amused drag queen) loved it!















His friends were an assortment of characters ranging from the Atomic Wedgie man, Lindsay Lohan (Alison, Paul's roomie... see above), a mechanic, a ninja turtle, and other fun costumes.















On Sunday, Paul and I met up with some friends and with my family to cheer on Cassie an the 34,000 other marathon participants. Cassie is 19 and this is her first marathon. She did unbelievably well and we are so proud of her!!! 3 hours, 43 minutes- in the top 10% of all the runners, top 4% for women. What a champ!

































Might I add again how amazing it is to participate in a marathon in any capacity? Next to live football games, I think marathons are my favorite sport to attend live. They are just so inspiring: all the runners pushing their bodies to the limit, and all the spectators lining the streets with brightly-colored posters and noise-makers out to cheer them on make for an emotional day. I cry every time I go to one. Congrats to everyone who participated.














Team Cassie

2 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tell Cassie Phil and I say congratulations!!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to see a Boston qualification next time!!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home