A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Class

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that Penn State / ND game yesterday except I was disappointed on several fronts. Our boys played hard, but it was basically a Penn State-worst-case-scenario situation. The score wasn't reflective of the quality of athletes on the field - it was a reflection of inexperience, stupid mistakes, and crappy calls (clipping?! wtf?!).

I can handle a loss like this, as painful as it is. What I can't handle, however, are classless fans. There is no excuse for it. I went to a block party that my town was having. There were big screen TV's, food, and beer and a good representation of fans from both teams. And I must say, I have NEVER experienced the rude comments and constant straight-up taunting throughout the game like I did yesterday from a handful of Budweiser-drinking ND fans at the event. It was so unnecessary and really made me happy I didn't travel to this game because ND fans often come with this reputation, unfortunately.

And it's not like I don't have thick skin. I've seen away games at Temple and Michigan (two very different calibers of fb teams) and both were wonderful experiences. I had such a great time at Michigan and at the hands of my classy midwestern hosts, I'd consider going to grad school there (quite a thing to say being that they handed us the only loss (and a questionable one) of our near-perfect 2005 season).

I can understand a passion for your team. I can respect cheering for your team and being excited by a good performance out of your team. But I cannot understand making it a personal issue with fans from the opposing team that are minding their own business and trying to watch the game. These people were getting in our faces and creating an uncomfortable viewing atmosphere for everyone there.

I don't think I'll ever understand bringing religion into sports. Touchdown Jesus? God's team? Seriously. Disrespectful and borderline sacrilege.

I'm proud to wear the blue and white and be a kind and classy host to any visitor to JoePa's house. And I'm not ashamed to shout "GO BLUE" at the top of my lungs next week when ND takes on Michigan. I think 106,000 of my best friends will join me in that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home