A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cuba

Thanks for all the love in the past week, guys... I had a difficult week, for some reason, and was feeling kind of down about things. But you all remind me how lucky I am, and for that, I LOVE YOU to death! Time to let it all go, I know.

This is pretty random, but one of the things I've been thinking about a lot lately is Cuba and all the possibilities of change in the next few years. I think I've been particularly interested in all the news surrounding Fidel's illness because I cannot wait to visit Cuba. Something about it just makes me yearn to check it all out. I earnestly hope that this can happen, legally, in my lifetime.

With all this talk about Fidel's imminent passing, I also think about the monstrous changes that will occur in the daily lives of the people of Cuba. Hopefully they will find a better way of life (be it with a newly established democracy or a more open communist government, at least). I think we as Americans take so much for granted - our rights for choice and artistic expression, most importantly. I can't imagine a world in which my family or I could be thrown into jail for raising our voices for the things we believe in.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know I was thinking that the other day as well. I'd really like to visit Cuba as well. It occurred to me as I was sitting in a wine bar in Wash. Heights, listening to some sizzling Cuban music.

    Sorry we haven't talked in a while. We should catch up one of these days. :-)

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree...Cuba would be very cool....especially as a stop on a long Caribbean cruise abord a 40 ft sailboat!

    To comment on your thought: "I can't imagine a world in which my family or I could be thrown into jail for raising our voices for the things we believe in."

    While I was in China (where that very situation often occurs), some intelligent students explained to me that they didn't think they were being denied human rights. They thought that, in their country, many people go without the basic needs - water, food, shelter, income - and the role of the government is to provide those things before anything else. If freedom of speech gets squashed here and there along the way, who cares, as long as there is food on every table.

    I don't agree with that perspective, nor do I know if the same applies to Cuba, but it is an interesting thought to ponder.

    I imagine that the ideal is both food -and- freedom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home