A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Friday, November 17, 2006

The Making of Champions

I'm coaching rec league basketball again this year, and had my first practice last night. I am super stoked. The girls can play. As much as I adored my 8-year-olds last year, I'm excited that I moved up to the 5th/6th grade league this year. When I drafted my team last year, I chose kids with a well-rounded set of skills - some were excellent shooters, some were better-than-average at dribbling, etc. The team was decent, but may of them didn't have confidence in actually playing the game. This year's tactic was to pick kids that scored high in scrimmaging. I figured, if they can scrimmage, the toning of the skills can come as we work through the season.

It shows already that this will be a successful decision. This team is spunky and eager and completely into playing their hearts out. They're not afraid to throw themselves on the floor when the ball is loose. I LOVE it... My kind of players.

One kid, Cassie, had me cracking up by confirming what I was seeing. After practice, she told me (with the most serious look on her face), "Yeah, I don't really shoot the ball. I'm pretty much the one that just dribbles and dives all over the floor to fight for loose balls."

This may be the year that I regain the championship crown that Marcia, Apryle, and I wore 13 years ago as a result of our OWN diving on the floor...

1 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home