A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Christmas Magic















When I was a kid, my mom and I started a little Christmas tradition for my grandma. Mom would take me shopping and would let me choose two lighted houses to buy for Grandma as Christmas gifts. I remember scrutinizing over the different choices, wanting to make the best possible choice by picking the ones she would like best. The Quilt Shop, Bakery, and Book Store were early picks, and I continued to round out the village over the next 6 or so years.

Grandma loved the village and kept it displayed year-round in her home. When she passed away 4 years ago, I inherited it.

Since this is the first year I've had my own home for Christmas, I tearfully broke out the village to display. The problem: 14 houses, each with separate cords - how and where would I display them? My solution: build a special custom shelf.

I designed a simple shelf that would tier the collection and hide all the cords and power strips at the same time. Then I went to Home Depot to have some boards cut (I know, how shop class of me) and put the shelf together.

Grandma would be proud - her village now shines on through my Christmas, and I suspect it will continue to shine as I have children and grandchildren of my own.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Emmy said…

    Aw, honey, that's so beautiful. And you can see that nice recessed lighting above it. =) Meme had little carousel horses that moved up and down and played Christmas music. They now go on my mom's mantle. Can't wait to see you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home