A Splash of 21 Humor

Make it fun! Life, that is.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"I Hate Golf" and Other Random Observations

It's another Tuesday at work, and there is nothing for me to do. Making worthwhile use of my college degree/dual minors sitting here by myself (the men all went golfing) to answer the phones that are not ringing. Not very happy.

It's weird, I still can't understand this whole "living in the real world" thing sometimes. You work your ass off in high school to get into the college of your choice. You work your ass off in college to get a good job after graduation. You come out of school on top of the world, ready to take on everyone and institute change with fervor. Then you get a job and find yourself being the glorified office bitch (to the tune of making coffee, copies, and answering phones for a few years). It sucks. I should've gone into the Peace Corps, seriously. There's got to be better things out there than being miserable here.

So some random observations from my otherwise pointless day in the office:


I Hate Golf.
Back to the topic of golf. When did playing golf start to constitute as doing "business"? It's bullshit. It's just another way that the "good ole' boys" manifest their power trips. 'I'm the boss... you're the worker, therefore, I golf and you take my phone messages.'

Granted, I'm not a golfer so I don't expected to be invited along on these group outings, but still - I feel serious gender discrimination in this arena. If men are granted some free golfing days to do "business", we ladies should be allowed to do the same with ice skating, shopping, visiting museums, etc., right?

PostSecret.
I know this website has been around for a while. In fact, I remember when it first started (I think I was living in D.C. at the time). Still, it never ceases to capture my attention and make my heart break. There is some gutwrenching stuff out there that we're all dealing with.

In a weird way, the issues posted are within all of us to a degree. This is a beautiful, honest place that we can go for solace... a place where we can gain perspective and comfort from fellow online posters. Interesting stuff. http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Keith Richards.
Only a member of the Rolling Stones would be bizarre enough to have to undergo serious brain surgery after falling out of a PALM TREE. As if Keith wasn't messed up enough after all the smoking/drinking/drugs. I still love 'em though.

The Preakness.
I'm glad Dan and I decided last minute not to go to the Preakness... I would've been very upset to see Barbaro, the favorite, injure himself so seriously. And after 4 hours of extensive surgery, they're still saying he only has a 50/50 chance of successful recovery and survival.

Knitting.
I've decided my next big project is to knit a big afghan to keep in my living room. Color is either going to be ivory, sage, or dark red. Thoughts as to the fiber? Acrylic blend?

1 Comments:

  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate golf, too. I think it's so dumb. If I never play one an actual course, it'll be too soon.

    Mini golf, however, is OK by me, perhaps because it is more about childhood and less about brokering deals among fat cats.

    And yes, PostSecret is amazing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home